Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Tree Trunk Legs


This topic has been on my mind for awhile. Others have brought it to my attention as well through various writings, blogs, etc. In her article discussing socialization, Amy Wattles approaches the issue and begins a discussion of the stereotypes in strength training. 
*Check out her very well written article here:
http://articles.elitefts.com/features/columns/socialization-is-the-disability/

So, here we go....
You've all seen them. The endless fitness images our society has been bombarded with from shredded delts, vascular quads, rounded biceps, and flawlessly defined abs. All with a catchy, motivational phrase encouraging us all to outline our goals with the image of this perfect, sweaty, cut body molded into our minds. 

I'm not going to say that these images don't lead to a bit of motivation or hope. But I'm afraid they are also feeding into the extreme expectations of social media and our society. From The Biggest Loser to the 4% body fat billboards, we are overloaded with the utmost extremes. Unfortunately, I'm not sure if these images are encouraging anything but baggier clothes and more self doubt. These photos, in my mind, offer the idea that anyone and everyone can and should look lean and shredded, and more so, that it is healthy to look that way. Again, I'm not making claims of doubt that a lean look can't be achieved by anyone that sets their mind to it, if that is what you choose, great, but there is a long term effect to encouraging this image. 

I can only speak from my own experience.

In 2010 I earned my Pro Natural Bodybuilding card. I weighed in at 97 pounds, possibly around 5% body fat, give or take. Standing on stage was amazing feeling. (Aside from the fear of dropping the trophy weighting in my hands from complete weakness and dehydration.) I thought I'd never feel more accomplished. Working out and dieting for 7 weeks tested my heart and my mind more thank I can explain. I told myself and the number of people who doubted me, I was going to win. I had worked too hard not to. Looking back I see more and more times of being on the verge of losing it completely. Dropping a Tupperware of smelly food onto the floor, slamming the microwave door, shoving away the hand trying to help me off my arm. I know, sounds ridiculous, but I was falling apart. 

Me, my trophies, and my brother Jason.


But it wasn't necessarily then that I was at my weakest. It was probably the two years following, struggling with cutting weight again and trying to understand why my body refused to cooperate... A roller coaster began of endless cardio and very very unhealthy eating habits. Grossly unhealthy. I hated that my body cut so quickly and then all of a sudden hated me. I struggled and struggled trying to find my place. I felt discouraged and empty.

And then I found Strongman. Or I should say God blessed me with Strongman. I started to realize strength would come through daily challenges of physical exhaustion... Challenges I never imagined I would achieve. Not a breaking point of exhaustion from near starvation, but from knowing I pushed myself harder than every before and feeling like I can had put everything I had into training each day.

I should be honest, however, even with this new found passion of strength and motivation, I still get distracted by these images. There are times I still miss having "shredded" quads and fitting into a size 2 with a desire to look like the girl with perfect everything. Speaking of my legs, a friend recently described them as "tree trunk legs". When I first read that post, my stomach jumped into my throat. I was almost hurt, but I quickly told myself, Rachel, that is a compliment. Your legs are strong. I thought of how many times have I cringed hearing "I want to lift, but I don't want to get bulky." Time to change the image. There isn't a damn thing wrong with my legs. Skinny jeans aren't really that cute anyway. And I'm thankful for my legs, and more importantly my health.

It's all perspective. What defines you. What motivates you. What are you willing to sacrifice. My point is, I hope these images don't lead to a long road of emptiness, a false sense of self, and lack of any motivation. I'm learning how to embrace my strength  Regardless if my body fat isn't below 10%. Who I am is not defined by my pant size or even my current deadlift PR.

My strength and motivation comes from my faith, from God, being blessed with "tree trunk legs" and loving every minute of getting stronger. It's also not the images posted on Facebook and Pinterest that motivate me. It's the people training right by my side, yelling at me not to drop the yoke, the people reminding me its okay to take rest days, the ones messaging me "I believe in you". The people that I am so blessed to know and call my friends. And more than anything, my motivation comes from wanting to be the best me possible. A drive and passion not to fall short.


Whatever motivates you, know you're stronger than the images and expectations. Be strong. Believe in YOU. And be proud of Tree Trunk Legs and the little things that may bring any sort of self doubt. 

Follow my training at: 
 http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=rachel+pyron&oq=rachel+pyron&gs_l=youtube.3..35i39.2558.4334.0.4539.12.12.0.0.0.0.176.1349.4j8.12.0...0.0...1ac.1.wGzpaShIl2k

4 comments:

  1. Absolutely inspiring Rachel. I'm beginning a journey myself and reading your blog has just uplifted me even more. I know it won't be easy and I will feel overwhelmed and wanting to quit. But I have such unhealthy habits and just plain laziness. Its a change I'm ready to accept. I have to do it for myself. Congratulations on your achievements. They are beautiful and so are you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Tarajean! It is definitely something I think so many can relate too and are afraid to admit the expectations of our society are daunting. Hang in there, love the journey and how strong you are. And trust in yourself. Its about you and knowing you can be your best. Please let me know if I can help at anytime!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job chel...!! You inspire me and so many others. I'll have to come and check out Genesis one of these days. And I think you look better at 110 or 120 then 97lbs. Just saying.

    BTW you got the best legs in the valley. Keep it that way.

    C ya around
    Mike

    ReplyDelete